Thursday 9 May 2013

Luxembourg: discovering a new street



This is Rue du Nord (North street), a street in Luxembourg City that I have passed by god only knows how many times when walking on Rue du marché-aux-Herbes (that would mean Market of Herbs street), past the Palais (the Palace), and usually turning left on Rue du Cure (cure is cure, no translation needed) to head to the library or a café.

Until last Saturday it never occurred to me to enter the street, maybe because I have never seen any life there before. And if you stand at the other end of it, by Rue du Fossé (you want me to translate that too? okay, fossé means a ditch or a gap), you basically just see a construction site, which doesn't exactly look inviting.



Last Saturday I saw people sitting outside of something that I had always thought was just another bar. (Finding me in a bar is less likely than calling the White House, asking for the President and being told by the operator that she will put you straight through.) Perhaps I should add here that this street maybe looks a little shady compared to all the spotless ones in Luxembourg.

Back to the people sitting outside. There was something about their demeanour that lured me into the street. They looked relaxed and when I spotted cups of coffee I was sold. I know, I'm so easy!



It turns out that the bar is also a café and it's called Konrad. I didn't go in because the few tables outside were occupied and the day was too gorgeous to spend it indoors. But the place looked like one of those unpretentious ones that I'm very much drawn to. When I got back home I looked up Konrad online to find out that it serves great food and is a non-smoking place. I even noticed on their Facebook page that someone asked them if they were a non-smoking bar and their reply was: "Unless there's a fire next door....but we can't really be blamed for that!!"

An unpretentious place and staff with humour - I already like it.

Now I just have to go there with a friend to enjoy a meal and coffee and of course I will report back to you.

photo credit:
Lisa Hjalt

5 comments:

  1. I would love to be that friend who joins you for a coffee at Konrad. :) One day soon. It's wonderful discovering Luxembourg with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful find! I have a feeling that you and Café Konrad will become great friends!!


    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa,
    I'm glad you found Konrad! I discovered it thanks to a friend, about 2.5 years ago when it looked even better than now: the counter with flowered wallpaper was on the left side, and in the middle they had a large oval table different bunches of friends would share. After refurbishing, it's still a lovely place, especially on Sunday mornings. Hope you get to enjoy some laid-back moments there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds lovely! I hope I get a chance to visit it in the near future, with you of course!
    xo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa,
    Looks so gorgeous:) I haven't been to Luxembourg since I was very little - can't remember much, but this street looks great. Happy week to you,
    Ax

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.