Friday 3 May 2013

Space: Axel Vervoordt design




One of my favourite designers is Axel Vervoordt, a Belgian who started his career as an antique dealer - he's a big name in the world of antiques - and later turned to interior and furniture design as well. If I were to use keywords to describe his design I think I would go for zen style or minimalism, natural materials, slipcovered sofas and plaster walls. His entire family is involved with the business, and with his wife May he runs a non-profit organisation that supports young artists.

Maybe some of you have seen this space many times. There are plenty of photos available of this living room styled in various ways and each photo lures me in. I love the clutter-free and raw yet warm look, the simplicity and balance. Earlier this morning I uploaded another photo of this same living room as a cover photo for the Facebook page and that one shows a bigger part of it. The club is a Vervoordt design and I find the fabric and colour perfect, but in general I'm not so keen on skirted sofas or chairs; they are just not for me. They don't really bother me in big spaces but skirted anything in small rooms almost makes me claustrophobic - add clutter and I won't be able to breathe!

This photo appears in Vervoordt's book Axel Vervoordt: Timeless Interiors (text by Armelle Baron), which contains twenty-three interiors that he designed in both Europe and the United States. I just moved that book higher on my wish list and his latest one Axel Vervoordt: Wabi Inspirations, where he joins forces with the Japanese architect Tatsuro Miki.

The Vervoordts bought a castle close to Antwerp, called Gravenwezel, which serves as their residence and is also used for exhibitions. Its gardens are beautiful. They open the castle to the public twice per year and I can just kick myself for not having used the opportunity to go see it when we lived in Antwerp. Well, I can always visit later. Last Monday I shared two photos from its conservatory, or orangerie, on the Icelandic blog, if you are interested in taking a look.

Thanks for visiting and enjoy your day!

photo credit:
Christian Sarramon, from the book Axel Vervoordt: Timeless Interiors published by Flammarion, via Velvet & Linen

5 comments:

  1. Such a tranquil space, love every single detail. And thank you for the story too. Have a beautiful day, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this wonderful post!! Axel's mixed styles are reflective of balance... Antiques, warmth, texture, minimal color; love him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, why am I not surprised that you love him. There must be something in the Antwerp water ;-)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful place to relax!

    ♥ Franka

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this beautiful simplicity. It feels very calm and warm somehow.
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend, Lisa! x

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.